Friday, March 2, 2012

Race day nutrition winner!

So the long awaited results of what I have chosen for my race day nutrition has finally come! This task was way more complicated than I originally thought that it would be.  Ultimately, I decided to go with a product that has several features that  I considered to be important. Things that I did look at and consider were: ingredients,  cost per serving, where it was made and how diverse the companies products are. I really wanted a company that had both gels and powder so I could have liquid nutrition on the bike, and then switch to the gels once on the run. The main companies that I looked at were: CarboPro, Hammer, Honey Stinger, Power Bar, Pacific Health Labs and Gu. Here's a pic of just some of the stuff that I tried.


The ones that I didn't choose and the reasons behind my decisions.
CarboPro- While CarboPro has a great reputation and following, the ingredients list is extremely vague. Its vague enough that you can't find an ingredients list anywhere on line, and I had to ask Antonio over at Tri Town to take a pic of the label just so I could compare the ingredients. Also, CarboPro doesn't have any gels of any kind.
Hammer and Pacific Health Labs- Both were interesting because these two companies both had products that contained protein in their powders. There's mix reviews on the effectiveness of the protein during the endurance events, and the possible GI issues associated with the protein as well. Plus, I know that Accelerade, made by Pacific Health, is a pain to mix up and stays foamy for a while after mixing, and I seriously don't have the patience to deal with that.
Power Bar- Power Bar only makes bars and some gels. The few gels that I did try were flavorful and thinner in consistency (as compared to the Gu). But again, they didn't have any powder for the liquid nutrition.
Honey Stinger- This is the brand that was recommended by the coaches from the CF Endurance site because of the use of honey instead of sugar. The only down side to the Honey Stinger is there lack of liquid nutrition for the bike.

Gu- The WINNER!!! After looking at all the categories Gu was the winner for the trial nutrition period. I like their use of both simple and complex carbs for an immediate and sustained energy release. Not only are the Gu products made in the USA, but the company makes their products themselves. No out sourcing to a 3rd party. This means that they have complete control over their products. It also helps Gu that they have the liquid nutrition covered with both the Roctane for the calories, and electrolyte brew for plain ol' electrolyte goodness, and then gels as well. The final nail in the coffin for Gu was that the cost is better than anything else with the discount from Promotive (50% off of retail).
The order was placed and then the waiting began. I thought that I was going to get a follow up email after the initial order to give me some shipping info, but it never happened. I ended up calling Gu to track the package only to find out that it would be delivered that day.



The oldest was almost as excited as I was when the box arrived. He begged me to let him try one of the flavors. I had to search through the gels and find one that didn't have any caffeine, and then let him have it. So here he is trying the Mint Chocolate, which is VERY yummy by the way.




My official first order. A box of the mixed gels so I can get a good sample of the different flavors, a small tub of the Roctane to try, and then a box of the Roctane gels. I got super lucky as the mix box has some Roctane gels, but it didn't come with the flavor that I ordered separately. I have a nice little sample pack now that should last me at least through March. The Roctane powder will be put to use on Sat, and I'll be taking a Roctane gel on the Seattle Firefighter Stairclimb next week as well. Really, my only complaint about the Gu product line is that there are NO protein/snack bars. If Gu got into the business of making some healthy, gluten free protein (whey based, not soy) then I'd be in heaven. Hint hint Gu people, make it happen. PS- I'd be happy to volunteer as a taste tester too  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment