Saturday, October 6, 2012

Broken Trainer



Today I broke my indoor cycling trainer. It's not a huge deal, more of an inconvenience than anything else. I've already done the research, and it's an $8 fix direct from Cycleops. The reason for the break down is because of a fault in the design for being able to use 650c wheels. With the smaller wheel, I need to move the entire fly wheel unit in closer so it makes contact. This isn't a huge deal, except that there is a plastic section on the underside of the flywheel that makes the contact needed for the 650c wheel difficult at best. I always wondered why I really had to wrench down on the turn handle to get a decent amount of contact on my tire. So with the travel being restricted, I ended up stripping out the L shaped bolt that holds the fly wheel in place for the ride.

The funny thing is that I don't normally use my trainer. I've been doing lots of rides at work and have been on the station trainer, which is a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. So while I am now unable to do any training at home, it will soon be back up and running. This is only a little frustrating because, yet again, I get screwed by having the smaller 650c wheels. These wheels truly are the bane of my existence.

I did some number crunching for this last month, and I have decided that I will start to total my monthly miles and share them with you. So for the month of Sept, here's the final miles
Swim:  2200 yds (remember, I'm working on form, not volume right now)
Bike: 146.4 miles (It was actually more, but somehow I lost the mileage on one of my training rides)
Run: 18.6 miles
This is also on top of the Crossfit that I do as well.

My last few workouts, I've really been paying attention to my heart rate while on the bike and now while on the run since I got my Timex GPS. It's some interesting stuff. While reading the Time Crunched Cyclist book, I've learned more about heart rate and zones, and how they can be used for different types of training. So I'm starting to pay more attention to where the ol' ticker is at while I'm doing the work.

Lastly, I thought that I'd leave you with a music video of a song that I can't get out of my head. It's from a band called Dead Sara, and I'm pretty sure that I've posted another video from them for a song called the Weatherman. This song is called We Are What You Say

No comments:

Post a Comment