Sunday, January 22, 2012

Old Man Winter

Old man winter has finally decided to arrive. He's a little late you know, but he finally decided to show up mid way through January, instead of sometime in December. I'm glad to see that he did finally decide to arrive, although I am a little nervous now about how long he's going to stay and if this means that we're going to have a late spring. I really don't need a late spring. I need to be able to get off the bike trainer and get back out on the road as soon as possible. Especially because I want to get out and ride the course that the Boise 70.3 is going to take. I heard that there's a decent hill during the course, and really want to get some time on the course, and specifically that hill.

      Growing up in Southern California, going to see snow was a driving experience; but here in Idaho it's just part of the seasons. I never thought that I'd live in a place that actually had all four seasons, but it's awesome. Every season has it's own fun to do, and just when you start to get sick of that season, the next one is usually getting ready to roll in. It makes it interesting for the training now that there is snow on the ground. You need to pay attention to the weather reports to see if there's going to be any training that can be done outside. The workouts in the garage are interesting as it's usually cold and that makes the barbell cold. A cold bar makes your hands that much colder and then it's hard to keep your grip on the bar. I've gotten used to wearing my snow boarding gloves in the winter when I'm lifting to help keep my hands warm. Luckily, I also have the rubber bumper plates for lifting, so if I do drop the bar, it only shakes the house and doesn't break anything.

      This weeks training was good, still didn't get all the workouts in that the CFE site had prescribed, but I did my best. It's hard when there are sick kids at home. As it is, I've gone 3 or 4 days now with less than 6 hours of continual sleep each night, and it's taking it's toll on my performance and training. So that's why I haven't gotten all of the workouts in. I am making it a priority to, at least, get my endurance workouts in, and then if the lifting happens, then awesome. So far, the kids seem to be getting on the mend. The youngest 2 have gotten it, and so long as we keep boy #1 from getting sick then I think that we'll be doing good.

     This week I got another piece of gear for the race. I ordered a tri top that I found for super cheap with a web site called http://www.departmentofgoods.com/ They sell all sorts of out doors/sporting stuff. Usually it's last years models that are being closed out, but they are brand new and will totally work. It also helps that on some of the items I get an additional discount for being a Firefighter. So my new tri top was originally $85 brand new; but was on sale for $42.50. Then my firefighter discount kicked in, and I got it for under $10! I couldn't turn that down. It's from Zoot, and is blue and grey. The grey on this top actually matches the grey in my tri shorts from Craft fairly well. I was a little unsure about the cut of the top, as it seems a little short and my low back hangs out when I'm on the bike, but from everything that I've read and people I've talked to, this is normal. I heard that a company called Desoto actually makes a longer tri top to prevent, what has been described as, the tramp stamp sun burn. I might look into that later on, but for now I think that I just might have the kit that I will race in this year. Of course, I'm still on the look out for other great deals to give me more options. I'm not sure if I mentioned it in another post, but I did also get an aero helmet off of craigslist for $20. It's definately not the super nice aero helmets that the pro's wear, but it's an aero helmet that will work. Although, I did find another super nice aero helmet on line that is blue for $50. Shawna would KILL ME if I bought another helmet though. I'd have to sell the other aero helmet and then get that one. I guess we'll see what happens.......

     I did happen to make a decision on a wet suit! I am excited about it, but want to wait until it comes in and I get to try it on before I make the announcement. I'll take some pics of the wetsuit and the tri suit so you'll know what I'll look like on race day. I continue to look on line for any great deals that I may find, although I'm not sure why when I don't have the cash to spend. It's just nice to day dream I guess. This up coming week, I'm going to try to get back out to Tri Town with my buddy Jeff who is doing the Boise 70.3 with me. He's got some bike stuff to work out, and I need to have Antonio recheck my bike since he fit me last and since I put a new saddle on the bike as well.

Boy #2 standing in the garage to the right of the Honda. The snow has since all melted from the street thanks to the rain, but in the mountains, it's still coming down and making everything look pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment